When getting a Driver License or ID - you will be provided the opportunity to register/participate in additional programs. Find out more information about these programs so you can make an informed choice.

Voter Registration

Congress enacted the National Voter Act of 1993 (also known as the “NVRA” or the “Motor Voter Act”), to enhance voting opportunities for every American. The Act has made it easier for all Americans to register to vote and to maintain their registration. Montana residents have the opportunity to register to vote at the same time that they apply for or renew a driver license or ID Card. The State automatically forwards the completed application to the appropriate state or local election official.

If you have moved or changed your name, you may update your voter registration information either online, by mail Change of Address for Driver License or ID Card (34-0300), or in person. You may also register to vote or check your voter status by visiting the Montana Secretary of State Voter information page.

It is important to understand that in order to register to vote you must be a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years old on or before the next election, have been a resident of Montana for at least 30 days prior to the next election, you are not serving a felony conviction in a penal institution, and have not been found to be of unsound mind by a court.

Organ, Eye, and Tissue Donation Program

Montana currently leads the nation in donor designation. Montanans demonstrate their generosity of donation with 87 percent of the population that are 18 and older being registered as organ, eye, and tissue donors. Just one donor can provide lifesaving organs to up to eight people. It’s easy to help save lives - if you are 15 years old or older, you can choose to register as an organ, eye, and tissue donor when you apply for or renew your driver license/ID Card.

What does it mean when you choose to be a donor when applying for or renewing your license or ID Card?

  • Choosing this option is a legally binding decision, supported by the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.
  • A red heart and the word “DONOR” will be printed on the front of your driver license or ID Card

When you apply for your license:

  • Indicate on the application you want your license to show that you are an organ donor.
  • Tell the driver license bureau representative that you want to be a donor.
  • Share your decision with your family.
  • You are already registered if your license says DONOR on the front or has a red heart in the upper left corner.

LifeCenter Northwest manages the organ, eye and tissue donor registry for Montana. To learn more visit LifeCenter Northwest or call 877-275-5269.

You can also learn more about the benefits of being a registered organ donor through LifeCenter Northwest’s short film, “It’s Your Choice”.

It’s important to understand that being an organ donor will not influence the medical care you receive when being treated by medical staff. They will do their best to save your life, even if you are an organ donor. Also, most major faiths accept organ donation. You can find out more about the Myths and Facts of organ donation by reading this fact sheet developed by the Mayo Clinic.

Living Will

Montana has an online End-of-Life Registry, which stores advance health care directives in a secure computer database which is available to health care providers. This registry:

  • securely stores directives relating to life-sustaining treatment
  • is accessible online
  • provides immediate access to authorized health care providers

If you need emergency medical assistance, the instructions you’ve recorded with the End-of-Life-Registry will help medical providers follow your wishes when you cannot speak for yourself. This information can also be used by family members to guide the decisions they may have to make on your behalf.

The living will designation on your driver license or ID Card works somewhat like the organ donation symbol. It does not give any indication as to what level or type of care you have requested, but alerts those making medical decisions to check the state’s End-of-Life-Registry for a living will. These directives can be updated or changed at any time.

To find out more information about the End-of-Life-Registry and Advanced Directives, please visit: https://dojmt.gov/consumer/end-of-life-registry/

It’s important to understand that instructions within the living will (called Advanced Directives) are not used as long as an individual is able to express his or her own decisions on whether to accept or refuse medical treatment.

Selective Service

The Selective Service program was set up to provide a fair way to register eligible men for military service. Federal law requires Males born on or after January 1, 1960, to register with the Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday and up to, but not including, their 26th birthday. Montana is an “opt-in” state, meaning that when applying for a driver license or credentials, anyone meeting this requirement is asked if they would like to register for Selective Service.

It’s important to understand that those required to register with Selective Service must register to remain eligible for state-funded student financial aid, scholarships, and loans.