Save Time and Do This Online! Renewing your ID or license (non-commercial and CDL) can be done through our online service.
Don't let your driving privilege expire.
Your driving privilege expires at midnight on the expiration date and is not valid until the renewal is processed.
When can I renew?
If you're over 21, you can renew your license as early as 6 months before it expires.
If you're going to turn 21, you may renew your license 2 months in advance of your birthday, but your new license will not be mailed until your 21st birthday. Note: You can renew up to 6 months in advance, but if you are not within 2 months of your 21st birthday, you will receive a card in the vertical format and will have to pay for a replacement after you turn 21.
A driver license can still be renewed up to 1 year after its expiration, but remember, your driving privilege expires at midnight on the expiration date and is not valid until the renewal is processed.
What options do I have for renewing?
To be eligible to renew your Montana driver license online:
- You must be a US citizen
- You must be between the ages of 21-63 (if you're over 63, you must renew in person)
- You must be in the renewal timeframe – 6 months prior to your expiration date or within 1 year after your expiration date
- You must not have done your previous renewal online or by mail
- Your current license cannot be revoked or suspended in any state
Please note that you cannot update your photo or signature when using online renewal services. MVD will use the most recent image and signature on file for the new credential.
Renew by Mail
To be eligible to renew your Montana driver license by mail, you must:
- Be a US citizen
- Not have done your previous renewal online or by mail
- Be in the renewal timeframe – 6 months prior to your expiration date or within 1 year after your expiration date
- Not have had your license suspended or revoked in any state.
If you are a Montana resident who is temporarily outside the state and will not return before the expiration of your Montana driver license, you may renew by mail if you have not done your previous renewal online or by mail. New credentials cannot be forwarded, so please be sure to include a valid mailing address.
The steps for renewing by mail:
- For a non-commercial license, download the Instruction Page and Mail-in Renewal Non-Commercial License (25-0100).
- From the fee table below, determine the appropriate fee using the age you will be on the expiration date. Enclose a check or money order payable to MVD.
- A temporary, paper driver license (valid for 90 days) will be sent to the address indicated on the application within 3-10 days of receiving your application at headquarters. A permanent, hard copy license will also be sent to the address indicated on the application within 2-6 weeks. Please note that MT driver licenses cannot be sent out of country.
- Mail the completed packet to:
ATTN: Mail-In DL
P.O. Box 201430
Helena, MT 59620-1430
- For express mailing please use the physical address in place of the P.O. Box:
ATTN: Mail-In DL
302 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620
Please note that you cannot update your photo or signature when using renewing by mail. MVD will use the most recent image and signature on file for the new credential.
Renew in Person
If you don't meet the requirements to renew online or by mail - you must renew in person. When renewing in person, please remember to:
- Bring your expiring Montana driver license. If you do not have your expiring Montana driver license with you, you must provide proof of identity.
- If your name has changed, you must bring documentation of name change.
- Bring in a completed Driver Medical Evaluation (20-1900) and/or Eye Evaluation (20-1801) signed by your physician or provider.
You will be given a temporary license which will expire after 90 days. You will receive your new license in the mail within approximately 2-4 weeks.