Welcome to Montana.

Converting your CDL to a Montana will entail taking the Montana CDL written test. CDL written tests are given at all driver license stations and require appointments; you can schedule your CDL written test through appointment scheduling

When you arrive for testing make sure you have:

  • You current, valid out-of-state CDL, which also serves as your Proof of Identity
  • Your Social Security Number (the card in not needed)
  • The required documents for Proof of Montana Residency and Proof of Authorized Presence
  • A valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC)

Do you have a Hazardous Material Endorsement (HME)?

If you want your Montana CDL to have an HME - you are required to pass the Hazardous Material Knowledge Test and a Security Background Check.

In Montana, the security check procedures are NOT performed at a driver exam station. Instead, the driver must first complete the TSA HAZPRINT security application online at the TSA Hazardous Materials Endorsement Threat Assessment Program or by telephone through the TSA agent’s Driver Service Center at 855-347-8371 toll free. After the TSA HAZPRINT application has been completed, a driver must have his or her fingerprints taken at the office of an agent hired by the TSA.