Annual registration – Under § 61-3-321(7), MCA motor-home owners pay a fee in lieu of taxes, based on the age of the motor home. The age is determined by subtracting the model year from the current year.

The registration of a motor home expires 12 months from the month in which it was first registered. You must renew your registration by the end of the following month, which is indicated on the registration decal on the rear license plate.

Permanent registration – Owners may choose to permanently register motor homes that are 11 years old or older. Permanent registration does not transfer with the motor home when there is a change of ownership.

Motor homes must also pay:

  • $10.30 Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fee
  • $12.36 new issue plate fee
  • $5.15 insurance verification fee if existing plates are kept on the vehicle when permanently registered

Motor homes that are used as commercial vehicles and are issued truck plates must also pay the gross vehicle weight (GVW) fee, § 61-10-201, MCA.

Registration Fee Schedule – Additional fees for motor homes are based on the age (model year subtracted from the current year) of the vehicle.

Fees below will include the 3% Administrative Fee when transaction is conducted.

Age of VehicleFee
Less than 2 years$282.50
2 years and over, but less than 5$224.25
5 years and over, but less than 8$132.50
8 years or more$97.50
11 years or more – permanent registration option$237.50